Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Oswald Walk Cycle

Taking a cue from John K's latest lesson, I decided to try and copy one of the coolest walk cycles I've ever seen. It's from the Oswald short "Hells Heels", just released on the Woody Woodpecker set. As you'll see I screwed it up when the cycle starts to repeat. The first and last drawings ended up too far apart so there's a noticeable jump when the walk cycle repeats, effectively killing any rhythm that was taking place. Maybe I shouldn't have tried something as difficult as this. One character is hard enough for me so two at one time is out of my league. I think I'll go and give those Bosko cycles a try. I added the click track to my version. The walk is on a 12 beat, meaning 12 frames per beat which in this case would be each step. Timing to a beat is something I've spent a lot time studying ever since reading about it in Bill Hanna and Shamus Culhane's books. Here's the original walk cycle followed by my crappy imitation.


9 comments:

Craig D said...

Looks salvageable to me. Bet you get better results on your second try.

Good experiment, never-the-less, says I.

(Am looking forward to that LANTZ set!)

Kali Fontecchio said...

I love that walk cycle! One of my favorites!

Andy Latham said...

Great stuff Kevin! I've never really watched Oswald stuff much, but I like the crazy movements, particularly the walks like this one. I often wonder how the animators came up with such odd ways of walking. Same goes for the old Popeye cycles. Your version is a great attempt, particularly since you have done both characters.

I'm hoping to get round to attempting one of these cycles soon, but I'm working on my own little creation at the moment.

Sorry I haven't been by in a while, have been struggling to keep my head above water with all the work I have had on!
-----------------------------
Visit Andy's Animation!

Jason Barnes said...

hahaha, the flailing arms! where do they come up with stuff like this!? amazing. and like craig said, your cycle is salvageable. not a bad attempt in the slightest!

Kevin Langley said...

Thanks everyone. If only I can find the time to fix it. I think I'll be copying a lot of stuff from those Oswald shorts.

Craig D said...

An aside, here:

I got to watch HELLS HEELS in its entirety this past weekend.

Whoever thinks VanBeuren cartoons are the epitome of crude, sloppy, surreal, no-plot cartoons hasn't seen THIS one!

(Which is to say I like it.)

Brett W. Thompson said...

Wow, looks great to me, good for you for doing that- what a fun piece of animation! :)

Chloe Cumming said...

Gosh, I'm kinda mesmerised by these beings with their liquid arm flails. I don't think I've ever actually seen any Oswald cartoons.

Eshniner Forest said...

Neat! Very Neat!! :)